If you have a big meeting or presentation coming up, you know you need to look your best if you’re going to close the deal or attract new clients to your business. Regardless of how uncomfortable it may feel to get out from behind your computer and be in front of people, the reality is, this is how you will grow your business.
Image matters, like it or not, human nature dictates that we summarise who and what a person is in a matter of seconds. First impressions count and can either open the door or close it.
Dressing for success is about having a wardrobe that portrays you at your best. Your style and personality aligned with what you do, are the keys to unlocking your signature style. Feeling good and looking great, will give you the confidence to go into the meeting with your head high and is reflected in your body language and the way you speak.
So how to dress for success?
Here are 5 things you can do right now to start to create a style and a brand that aligns with your business:
- Your hairdresser is your friend. Have your hair cut professionally and regularly to ensure you look your best. If you’re going to be presenting, treat yourself and have your hair styled beforehand; it’ll make you feel a million bucks!
- Plan your outfits. Take the stress out of meeting or speaking engagements by having your outfit all ready to go, this includes making sure they’re wrinkle-free…essential if you’ve been travelling.
- There is such a thing as too much of a good thing—go easy on the accessories, you are the focus, not your bling. Remember accessories are there to enhance your overall appearance, not take over!
- If you’re wearing a dress or skirt, check the length to ensure you’re not showing more than you want to. If are going to be on stage, take a look in a full length mirror beforehand to make sure when you move (bend, sit) that everything is kept covered. While you’re in front of the mirror, check for transparency as well. If you can see through the fabric, pop on a slip underneath for a quick fix.
- Be authentic. If you dress in a structured suit and it feels like you’re imprisoned, then it will show. Find a style of clothing that truly reflects who you are and align it to your business to attract your ideal client. Remember not everyone is your client; attracting the right clients is the key to business success.
If you’re ready to create a signature style that reflects your personality and aligns with your business, I can help.